Leanne Benjamin Awards 2023
OPEN TO YOUNG DANCERS FROM AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND
APPLICANTS MUST BE CITIZENS OF AUSTRALIA OR NEW ZEALAND, OR DOMICILED IN AUSTRALIA OR NEW ZEALAND AND UNDER THE AGE OF 21 (AS AT SEPTEMBER 30, 2023). APPLICATIONS CLOSE FRIDAY 14TH APRIL, 5PM AUSTRALIAN WESTERN STANDARD (PERTH) TIME.
APPLICATIONS CLOSED FRIDAY 14TH APRIL 2023
In 2022 the Tait Memorial Trust awarded grants of more than £69,000 to 20 young performing artists, and the group award to the Royal Ballet School, from Australia & New Zealand. Awards included an £8,000 award to fund the Tait Sir Charles Mackerras Chair with Southbank Sinfonia, London’s training orchestra, the award is funded jointly by the Estate of Lady Mackerras, and the Tait Trust; and the Richard Bonynge Award to a young dancer at the Royal Ballet School.
Note: If you are applying to study at the Royal Ballet School there is no need for you to apply for a Tait Award. We give RBS a fixed sum annually for Australian/New Zealand students to be added to the AU/NZ group fund. RBS allocate the funds according to their own guidelines.
Applicants must be:
- Citizens of Australia or New Zealand, or domiciled in Australia or New Zealand, over the age of 15 and under the age of 21 (as at September 30, 2023). Proof of this will be required.
- Students should have completed their secondary education, or GCSE equivalent.
- Scan of your passport, or another official document which will confirm proof of age and your nationality/residence.
- An outline of your studies and achievements & a short biography.
- Cover letter written by the applicant that includes a description of the proposed course of study, and explaining why you want to pursue this course.
- A current reference from your dance teacher, or someone who has taught you.
Registration for Video Selection
Each applicant must register online (www.taitmemorialtrust.org) by filling in the application form and must submit a digital video (only one candidate per video file) recording of himself/herself
The video file must contain all of the elements below filmed in a studio environment.
- Only video files will be accepted. If you cannot upload a video file please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- The video file must include the candidate’s full name.
- The camera should be positioned at an angle that shows the dancer at his/her best. It is recommended to film the barre in a diagonal and the centre from the front.
2. Video File Contents
The video file should be approximately 10 – 20 minutes in duration in order to provide adequate evidence of the applicant’s artistic, musical, and technical capabilities. It must show the full body throughout.
2.1. A short classical variation preferably drawn from the standard repertoire, danced in pointe shoes by female applicants.
2.2. A short contemporary variation that could consist of something drawn from repertoire, phrases from classwork or an applicant-created work up to three minutes in length.
2.3. Barre work, three to five minutes in length, incorporating both sides and danced in soft shoes by male, and preferably pointe shoes by female applicants (pliés, tendus, adagio, and grands battements).
2.4. Centre practice, including port de bras, adagio, pirouettes, petit and grand allegro and danced in pointe shoes by female applicants.
- If candidates are not strong enough soft shoes or soft blocks may be worn for barre work and allegro only
- Excerpts of live performances will not be accepted
- Recorded no more than 3 months before your application date. If this is an issue please contact us
3. Clothing for the Video Selection
The dancer’s clothing must contrast with the background.
3.1. Contemporary variation
Male and female candidates: barefoot, soft ballet slippers or in “Nu-pieds” (to protect the sole of the feet)
3.2. Barre work and centre practice as well as classical variation
Male candidates: dark tights and a fitted plain t-shirt (any colour)
– no cut off tights, leg warmers or loose t-shirts
Female candidates: Pale or flesh coloured tights and a sleeveless plain leotard (any colour)
– no skirts, practice tutu, leg warmers or loose t-shirts
Please contact us if you have any questions
Photo: Leanne Benjamin, The Royal Ballet, Jewels, Emeralds, 2007