Leanne Benjamin Awards
OPEN TO YOUNG DANCERS
FROM AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND
BALLET APPLICATIONS OPENED FEBRUARY 15TH 2020
In 2019 the Tait Memorial Trust awarded grants to 21 young singers, musicians and dancers from Australia & New Zealand. The Leanne Benjamin Dance Awards are paid directly to the training school to assist with course fees.
- Leanne Benjamin Awards we have decided we should pause on applications until we can determine how we might be able to move ahead ensuring equity and safety for all involved.
- The deadline of Tuesday 31 March is now extended for the moment until the situation becomes clearer.
- We do ask that all candidates planning to apply this year to please email us at email@example.com
Note: If you are applying to study at the Royal Ballet School there is no need for you to apply for a Tait Award. We give RBS a fixed sum annually for Australian/New Zealand students to be added to the Aus/NZ pot. RBS allocate the funds according to their own guidelines.
Applicants must be:
- Australian or New Zealand citizens or domiciled/resident in Australia or New Zealand (Proof of this will be required).
- Dancers must be 15 years or above as at September 1st 2020.
- Students should have completed their secondary education, or GCSE equivalent.
- Scan of your passport, or another official document which will confirm proof of age and your nationality/residence.
- An outline of your studies and achievements & a short biography.
- Cover letter written by the applicant that includes a description of the proposed course of study, and explaining why you want to pursue this course.
- A current reference from your dance teacher, or someone who has taught you.
Registration for Video Selection
Each applicant must register online (www.taitmemorialtrust.org) by filling in the application form and must submit a digital video (only one candidate per video file) recording of himself/herself before Tuesday 31st March at 5pm (Australian Western Standard Time).
Applications open on February 15th, 2020.
The video file must contain all of the elements below filmed in a studio environment.
- Only video files will be accepted. If you cannot upload a video file please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- The video file must include the candidate’s full name.
- The camera should be positioned at an angle that shows the dancer at his/her best. It is recommended to film the barre in a diagonal and the centre from the front.
2. Video File Contents
The video file should be approximately 10 – 20 minutes in duration in order to provide adequate evidence of the applicant’s artistic, musical, and technical capabilities. It must show the full body throughout.
2.1. A short classical variation preferably drawn from the standard repertoire, danced in pointe shoes by female applicants.
2.2. A short contemporary variation that could consist of something drawn from repertoire, phrases from classwork or an applicant-created work up to three minutes in length.
2.3. Barre work, three to five minutes in length, incorporating both sides and danced in soft shoes by male, and preferably pointe shoes by female applicants (pliés, tendus, adagio, and grands battements).
2.4. Centre practice, including port de bras, adagio, pirouettes, petit and grand allegro and danced in pointe shoes by female applicants.
- If candidates are not strong enough soft shoes or soft blocks may be worn for barre work and allegro only
- Excerpts of live performances will not be accepted
- Recorded no more than 3 months before the application date, February 15th, 2020
3. Clothing for the Video Selection
The dancer’s clothing must contrast with the background.
3.1. Contemporary variation
Male and female candidates: barefoot, soft ballet slippers or in “Nu-pieds” (to protect the sole of the feet)
3.2. Barre work and centre practice as well as classical variation
Male candidates: dark tights and a fitted plain t-shirt (any colour)
– no cut off tights, leg warmers or loose t-shirts
Female candidates: white or pink tights and a sleeveless plain leotard (any colour)
– no skirts, practice tutu, leg warmers or loose t-shirts
Please contact us if you have any questions
Photo: Leanne Benjamin, The Royal Ballet, Jewels, Emeralds, 2007